To support students and scholars from all over the world to conduct their study and research at Chinese universities, to increase the mutual understanding and friendship between the people of China and peoples from the rest of the world, and to develop the communication and cooperation between China and the rest of the world in the field of Education, Technology, Culture and Economics, the Ministry of Education of China set up the Chinese Government Scholarship and authorized USTC to recruit full-time postgraduate students under the Chinese Government Scholarship. Now USTC opens the call for application for the academic year 2014-2015.
1. Number of scholarship students to be admitted:
1) “Chinese Government Scholarship – University Postgraduate Program”: 50
2) China-U.S. Cultural Exchanges Special Program: 5
2. Qualifications for scholarship application:
1) Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens and mentally and physically healthy;
2) Applicants must not be a registered student in Chinese universities at the time of application; or be a graduate from Chinese universities for more than one year;
3) Education background and age limit:
※ For the graduates to obtain their degrees in 2014, they should submit a pre-graduation certificate to ensure that they will complete their study and acquire the degree by July of 2014.
※ Students who have been granted for other Chinese scholarship or funding (2014-2015) cannot apply for this scholarship.
3. Application Deadline: March 5, 2014 (application materials arriving later than March 5 will not be accepted)
4. Coverage of the scholarship:
Students are exempt from registration fee, tuition fee, fee for laboratory experiment, fee for internship, and fee for basic learning materials, and accommodation fee for dormitory on campus;
One-off settlement subsidy after registration for new student studying in China for the first time;
Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Protection Scheme for International Students in China.
1) Costs of the laboratory experiment or internship beyond the university’s arrangements should be self-afforded.
2) Fee for basic learning materials ONLY covers the necessary learning materials prescribed by the host institution, and other textbooks and materials shall be self-afforded.
3) Monthly living allowance is granted to the students through the host institution at the following rates (CNY Yuan per month):
- Master’s degree students: CNY 1,700 Yuan
- Doctoral degree students: CNY 2,000 Yuan
4) New students studying in China for the first time will get a one-off settlement subsidy after registration.
- CNY 1,500 Yuan for new students who will study in China for one academic year and above
5) Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Protection Scheme for International Students in China is provided by MOE for the scholarship students in China against hospitalizing for serious diseases and accidental injuries according to the stipulated insurance articles (http://www.lxbx.net/html_l.aspx?id=109)
6) International travel expenses: self-afforded.
5. Choices of Graduate Programs and Duration of Scholarship:
USTC offers graduate programs with Chinese or English as media of instruction. For more information of programs offered at USTC, please check Master’s Degree Programs List (see the attachment) and Doctoral Degree Programs List (see the attachment).
For more information about the programs and professors in related field, please refer to the link of professors’ brief profiles (http://en.ustc.edu.cn/faculty/201105/t20110530_112483.html)and the websites of the schools and departments (http://en.ustc.edu.cn/schools/).
The duration of scholarship is decided in accordance with the duration of each specific program:
Master's Degree Programs: 2-3 academic years
Doctoral Degree Programs: 3-4 academic years
Applicants who apply for programs instructed in Chinese but without sufficient Chinese language proficiency are required to take one-year Chinese language courses and pass the relevant test prior to the studies in their specialties. For those who take the one-year Chinese language courses, the duration of the scholarship will be extended correspondingly. Scholarship duration specified in the admission notice CANNOT be extended in principle.
6. Application Procedure:
1) Log on the on-line application system to do an on-line registration and application (http://laihua.csc.edu.cn). After filling in the application form online, applicants must click the “submit” button and print out application form in the application system. Agency code for USTC is 10358.
2) After applying online, applicants must submit application materials to International Affairs Office of USTC by post mail or in person (application materials submitted by email will not be accepted).
Applicants are encouraged to contact prospective supervisors prior to application and if have, are expected to enclose in their application package with the Form of Provisional Acceptance of International Student by USTC Professor (download in the attachment).
※ Notes for online application
1) Please fill in the exact “Family name”, “Given name” and passport number as shown on your passport, and make sure the email address and “present contact address” (postal address for admission documents) correct and valid.
2) If choose to learn Chinese language prior to major study, please fill in the “duration of elementary Chinese study” as 2014-9-1 to 2015-7-15 and “duration of major study” as 2015-9-1 to 2018-7-15 (for instance of 3-year program). If choose English-taught program, please fill in the “duration of major study” as 2014-9-1 to 2017-7-15 (for instance of 3-year program).
7. Application Materials (in duplicate, A4 size):
1) Application form for Chinese Government Scholarship with signature and recent photo
2) Photocopy of passport (ordinary passport)
3) Notarized photocopy of highest diploma and academic transcript. If applicants are university students, they must also provide documents showing their status as university students and pre-graduation certificate; if applicants are already employed, they must also provide documents showing their status as on-post employees and permission of release.
4) A study or research proposal(no less than 800 words)
6) Two letters of recommendation from full professors or associate professors (with phone number and email address)
7) Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (download in the attachment).
8) Applicants for programs instructed in Chinese but do not apply for one-year Chinese language courses, must provide the photocopy of HSK certificate (at least Band 4) or other proof of their Chinese language proficiency; applicants for programs instructed in English must provide the photocopy of IELTS or TOFEL result (except those whose mother tongue is English)
9) Printed Code for International Scholarship Students of USTC with signature (download in the attachment).
※ Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
※ Application materials will NOT be returned regardless of the application result.
※ Please make sure you send out two complete sets of all the required document.
8. Admission Procedure
1) USTC will review all the application materials arriving before the application deadline. Decisions for admission and granting the scholarship will be made on the basis of applicants’ academic record, research abilities and other aspects related.
2) The name list of the scholarship awardees will be sent to China Scholarship Council (CSC) for review at the end of April, 2013.
3) After the name list is reviewed and approved by CSC, the scholarship awardees will be notified by USTC and admission notice with other relevant documents will be posted to the awardees in July.
4) New school year shall start in September, 2014. The specific date of registration will be written on the admission notice.
※ If you have any inquiries about your application progress, please provide the serial number of your online application so that we can reply you with accurate information as quick as possible.
1) Regulations of Chinese Government Scholarship will apply to the students under this scholarship scheme. Scholarship students must go through the Annual Review of the Chinese Government Scholarship Status. (For more details, please refer to the website: http://iao.ustc.edu.cn/bszn/hwxs/wglxs/gzzd/201308/t20130805_155517.html
2) Scholarship students are not allowed to change their institutions as well as their academic programs or the duration of study specified in the Admission Notice.
3) Scholarship students who have to suspend their studies due to illness must return to their home country for further treatment and recovery. Expenses for the international travel to and from the university will be borne by the students themselves, and their scholarship status will be reserved for one year at most, with the monthly living allowance stopped during the suspension. Scholarships of the students who suspend their studies for reasons other than illness will not be reserved.
4) The International Affairs Office of USTC is responsible for the interpretation of the scholarship granting procedures and regulations.
10. Contact Information
Ms. Judy Shen
International Affairs Office
University of Science and Technology of China
Postal address: International Affairs Office, University of Science and Technology of China,
96 Jinzhai Road, Hefei, 230026, Anhui, China