Chinese Government Scholarship – University Postgraduate Program (CGS-UPP) is set up by the Ministry of Education of China (MOE) aiming to increase the cooperation and understanding between China and other countries, develop outstanding talent and improve the perception of China’s higher education. Entrusted by MOE, USTC is now opening application for full-time postgraduate studies under the Chinese Government Scholarship program.
1. Number of scholarship students to be admitted : 20
2. Application deadline: March 31, 2012 (application materials arriving later than March 31 will not be accepted)
3. Qualifications for scholarship application:
1) Applicants must be foreign nationals, and in good health;
2) Applicants are not currently studying in Chinese universities;
3) Education background and age limits:
- Applicants for doctoral studies must have master’s degree and be under the age of 40;
- Applicants for master’s degree studies must have bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35;
4) Applicants should have excellent grades.
5) Applicant is not a recipient of any other scholarships at the time of application.
4. Coverage of the scholarship:
n Students are exempt from tuition and fees for registration, laboratory experiments, internship, basic learning materials and on-campus accommodation;
n A living allowance is provided (CNY 1700 per month for master degree students:, CNY 2000 per month for doctoral students);
n A one-off settlement subsidy for new students after registration: CNY 1500 per person;
n Fees for out-patient medical services and Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Protection Program for International Students in China.
Note: For more detailed information, please visit the website of Chinese Scholarship Council: http://www.csc.edu.cn
5. Choices of specialities:
USTC offers graduate programs with Chinese or English as media of instruction. For more information of specialities offered at USTC, please check Master’s Degree Programs list (attachment 1) and Doctoral Degree Programs list (attachment 2) . Those who apply for programs conducted in Chinese can apply for a one-year Chinese language program covered by the scholarship.
6. Application Procedure:
1) Submit application for Chinese Government Scholarship online (http://laihua.csc.edu.cn); then print and sign the application from. Agency code for USTC is 10358.
2) Submit application materials to International Affairs Office of USTC by post mail or in person (application materials submitted by email will not be accepted).
Applicants are encouraged to contact prospective supervisors prior to application and if have, are expected to enclose in their application package with the Form of Provisional Acceptance of International Student by USTC Professor (attachment 3). The link of our professors’ brief profiles is: http://dsxt.ustc.edu.cn/admin_sgdsmd_eng.asp
7. Application Materials:
1) Application form for Chinese Government Scholarship
2) Photocopy of passport
3) Notarized photocopy of highest diploma and academic transcript. If applicants are university students or already employed, they must also provide documents showing their status as university students or on-post employees.
4) A study or research proposal(no less than 800 words)
6) Two letters of recommendation from professors (with phone number and email address)
7) Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (attachment 4)
Note: Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with translations in Chinese or English. Application materials will NOT be returned regardless of the application result.
USTC will review all the application materials. Decisions for admission and granting the scholarship will be made on the basis of applicants’ academic record, research abilities and other aspects related. The name list of the scholarship awardees will be sent to China Scholarship Council (CSC) for review in April, 2012. After the name list is reviewed and approved by CSC, the scholarship awardees will be notified by USTC in June 2012 and Admission Notice with other relevant documents will be sent to them in July, 2012. New school year shall start in September, 2012.
Regulations for international students under the Chinese Government Scholarship Program will apply to the students under this scholarship scheme (CGS-UPP). Scholarship students are not allowed to change their institutions as well as their academic programs or the duration of study specified in the Admission Notice. For more detailed information, please visit the website of Chinese Scholarship Council: http://www.csc.edu.cn
The International Affairs Office of USTC is responsible for the interpretation of the scholarship granting procedures and regulations.
For further inquiries, please contact:
Ms. Judy Shen
Postal address: International Affairs Office, University of Science and Technology of China
96 Jinzhai Road, Hefei, 230026, Anhui, China
Attachment: Master's Degree Programs list.xlsDoctoral Degree Programs list.xlsForm for Provisional Acceptance of International Students by USTC Professor.docForeigner Physical Examination Form.pdf